Pesticides in the Home

— Written By

Pesticides have become a commonplace item in many people’s homes as well as their use in agriculture. So much so, it is hard to imagine a time when we couldn’t easily kill weeds with just a couple droplets of a chemical. However this comfortability with pesticides makes them no less dangerous and I have seen many people before far too relaxed with their storage and handling of pesticides. Much like a person pumping gas while smoking a cigarette, when something becomes part of our routine we can forget it’s potential to cause harm.

Pesticides are especially dangerous to Children who may accidentally drink some or “make a potion” or mixture while playing. A general rule of thumb is to consider all pesticides toxic and to treat them like if you drank them you would die. If you do this, you are sure to take steps to protect those around you.

  • Locking the products in a cabinet or chest is by far the best method to prevent accidental exposure.
  • Make sure you don’t have any leaky bottles or bags that may drip onto other surfaces.
  • NEVER store pesticides in a container other than the one it came in. NEVER STORE IN DRINK/SODA BOTTLES.
  • Always wear the proper protective equipment when handling and applying pesticides. 
  • Rear the label and understand that each pesticide is like a unique kitchen tool: you wouldn’t use a vegetable peeler to try and grate cheese. Roundup is not going to kill every single weed. Take the time to understand what the pesticide does and you are usually going to be much happier with the results. Call/Email Daniel at the Extension office if you have any questions.
  • Dispose of old pesticides at a FREE pesticide disposal day. Old pesticides usually degrade to be less useful and post a threat to humans and our environment. 

We will be hosting a free pesticide disposal day on October 29th, 2020 from 10 a.m.-2 p.m. at the NC Forest Service Building- 973 Firetower Road, Yanceyville NC 27379. Email Drostrow@ncsu.edu to register